The body of the nun, who died a year ago at age 97, was taken Sunday to the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary.
According to the Portuguese Catholic news agency Ecclesia, some 250,000 people accompanying the arrival waved white scarves, a custom in the farewell procession in large pilgrimages to the shrine.
The history of the apparitions was recounted during the brief ceremony, beginning with the first, on May 13, 1917.
Sister Lucia is buried next to Blessed Jacinta, another of the Fatima visionaries. Blessed Francisco, the other witness of the apparitions, is buried in the same basilica.
A stone to be placed on Sister Lucia’s tomb reads: “Sister Maria Lucia of Jesus and of the Immaculate Heart, to whom Our Lady appeared. March 22, 1907 — February 13, 2005. Translated to this basilica on February 19, 2006.”
On the stones of the other two little shepherds there is, in addition, an inscription that states: “Beatified on May 13, 2000.”