VATICAN CITY, JULY 19, 2006 (Zenit.org).- Here is the description of the Teresian Association which appears in the Directory of International Associations of the Faithful, published by the Pontifical Council for the Laity.
* * *
Official name: Teresian Association
History: The TA originated in Oviedo, Spain, where it was started by Father Pedro Poveda Castroverde, who was canonized by Pope John Paul II in 2003.
In view of the prevailing mentality that held that faith and culture are incompatible, he felt the urgent need to demonstrate that the advancement of humankind and the transformation of society are only possible when people receive a cultural education rooted in the Gospel. The challenge was how to educate people to live fully as baptized Christians and to be a transforming presence in society.
In 1913, Father Poveda met Josefa Segovia who was to work closely with him and become the first president of the Teresian Association. It was she who presented it to Pius XI, and he approved it as a Primary Pious Union in 1924.
She went on to extend the association upon the death of the founder. On November 21, 1990, the Pontifical Council for the Laity decreed recognition of the Institucion Teresiana as an international association of the faithful of Pontifical Right.
Identity: The TA promotes the relationship between faith and culture as a means of human growth and the transformation of society. It is committed to the building up of a just society that shows solidarity and is animated by the values of the Gospel.
Its members pursue these aims through their work, by being present in the world as leaven, salt and light, proclaiming the Gospel as the Word that cannot be silenced. The preparation of members of the TA is based on providing the cultural and professional training to meet the needs of their vocation and mission, as well as study in theology and the human sciences.
Specific areas of activity are education in schools, university, the family, the mass media and teacher training. The association has consultative status with Ecosoc and it collaborates in programs promoted by UNESCO.
Organization: The TA is an association of members joined by vocation who have different forms of commitment. At the heart of the TA is the primary Association made up of women who are totally dedicated to performing their mission through promises to that end laid down by the founder. The primary association is assisted by the cooperating associations of the Teresian
Association, which are local, regional, national and international, made up of men and women committed to cooperating with the TA mission of which they form an integral part.
Membership: The TA has about 4,100 members and is present in 32 countries as follows: Africa (3), Asia (4), Europe (9), Middle East (3), North America (5), and South America (8).
Works: The TA runs schools, university residences, social-cultural centers, teacher-training centers, youth organizations, international cooperation programs in Africa, America and Asia, an international volunteer program, periodicals, publishing house, schools for families.
Publications: Crítica, a Spanish monthly magazine dealing with current themes from an interdisciplinary perspective. Novamerica a bilingual journal in Spanish and Portuguese published three times a year with monographic themes by writers from different countries.
Web site: http://www.institucionteresiana.org
Via Clitunno, 33/35 – 00198 Roma – Italy
Tel. [+39]06844351 – Fax 068443535
Email: [email protected]
© Copyright 2006 — Libreria Editrice Vaticana [adapted]