The sari is the dress worn by Indian women. Those from wealthy families can spend much money on their dress. The value of the sari worn by Mother Teresa’s daughters, however, lies in the hands of those who make them.
All the Missionaries’ saris are made by patients in the Prem Nivas leprosy center in Titaghar, north of Calcutta. The center was inaugurated on Jan. 14, 1959. It was dedicated to Mohandas Gandhi in 1975.
Those who work with the looms in Titaghar have been cured of leprosy, though the disease has left its mark on their soul and body. This is what gives the Missionaries’ saris an inestimable value, say Mother Teresa’s religious.