(ZENIT News / Rome, 20.12.2022).- As a matter of interest, we offer the timeline delineated by the Society of Jesus in regard to Marko Rupnik’s case. As can be seen, one can appreciate better that it has to do with two questions: the absolution of an accomplice in a sin against the 6th commandment (which implies excommunication for the confessor and the invalidity of the confession) and abuses against adult persons.
* * *
Absolution of an accomplice in a sin against the 6th commandment
– October 2018: Allegations of absolution of an accomplice by Fr. Rupnik in a sin against the sixth commandment are received by the SJ Curia delegate for the International Houses in Rome. The Society sets up a preliminary investigation
– May 2019: The investigation deems the allegations credible. A file is sent to the CDF
– June 2019: Restrictions are imposed by Fr. Verschueren, Major Superior of DIR’
– July 2019: the CDF asks the Society to set up a penal administrative process
– January 2020: the judges (all are external to the Society of Jesus) unanimously say that there was indeed absolution of an accomplice
– May 2020: the CDF declares that the absolution of an accomplice happened and therefore declares that Fr. Rupnik is in the status of excommunication latae sententia; the excommunication is lifted by a CDF decree later that month.
Allegations of misconduct of Fr. Rupnik against members of Loyola Community
– June 2021: CDF contacts SJ General Curia about allegations regarding Fr Rupnik and some members of Loyola community
– July 2021: Father General sets up a preliminary investigation led by a person external to the Society. Restrictions are imposed by Fr. Verschueren, Major Superior of DIR
– Jan 2022: The investigation concludes there was a case to answer. The results are sent to CDF with a recommendation of a penal process.
– October 2022: The CDF says the events are stature barred; no trial can proceed
– The July 2021 restrictions on the ministry of Fr Rupnik continue.
A note on the Role of the Delegate for the International Houses in Rome – Explanatory Note:
The Delegate for the Roman Houses is the Major Superior of the following communities and institutions:
- Collegio del Gesù
• Collegio del Bellarmino
• Centro Aletti
• Università Gregoriana
• Pontifical Biblical Institute Rome
• Pontifical Biblical Institute Jerusalem
• Pontifical Oriental Institute
• Peter Canisius Jesuit residence
• Vatican Observatory
• La Civiltà Cattolica
• Collegio Russicum