Pope Francis on November 8, 2017, authorized the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to promulgate Decrees regarding several causes for sainthood. The Holy Father made the announcements in audience with Cardinal Angelo Amato, S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation.
Prominent among the decrees is that for Pope John Paul I.
– the martyrdom of the Servant of God Giovanni Brenner, diocesan priest, born on December 27, 1931 in Szombathely, Hungary, and killed in hatred of the faith on December 15, 1957 in Rabakethely, Hungary;
– the martyrdom of the Servant of God Leonella Sgorbati (née Rosa), professed nun of the Institute of the Consolata Missionary Sisters; born on December 9, 1940 in Rezzanello di Gazzola, Italy, and killed in hatred of the faith on September 17, 2006 in Mogadishu, Somalia;
– the heroic virtues of Blessed Bernardo of Baden, Marquis of Baden, born between late 1428 and early 1429 in the Castle of Hohenbaden, Germany, and died on July 15, 1458 in Moncalieri, Italy;
– the heroic virtues of Servant of God John Paul I (Albino Luciani), Supreme Pontiff, born on October 17, 1912 in Forno di Canale, now Canale d’Agordo, Italy, and died on September 28, 1978 in the Apostolic Palace, Vatican City;
– the heroic virtues of Servant of God Gregorio Fioravanti (né Lodovico), professed priest of the Order of Friars Minor, founder of the Congregation of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart; born in Grotte di Castro, Italy on April 24, 1822, and died in Gemona, Italy on January 23,1894;
– the heroic virtues of Servant of God Tomás Morales Pérez, professed priest of the Company of Jesus, founder of the Secular Institutes Cruzados e Cruzadas de Santa María; born in Macuto, Venezuela on October 30, 1908, and died on October 1, 1994 in Alcalá de Henares, Spain;
– the heroic virtues of Servant of God Marcellino da Capradosso (né Giovanni Maoloni), professed layperson of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin; born on September 22, 1873 in Villa Sambuco di Castel di Lama and died on February 26, 1909 in Fermo, Italy;
– the heroic virtues of Servant of God Teresa Fardella De Blasi, widow and founder of the Institute of the Poor Daughters of the Crowned Virgin; born in New York, United States of America, on May 24,1867 and died on August 26, 1957 in Trapani, Italy.
© Libreria Editrice Vatican