VATICAN CITY, JUNE 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Forty archbishops will receive the pallium from John Paul II this Sunday, a symbol of their authority and their union with the Pope.
The pallium is a white woolen band, embroidered with six black crosses. Worn around the neck, it recalls the figure of the Good Shepherd who carries a lamb on his shoulders.
The new metropolitans who will receive the pallium on the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul are:
1. Archbishop Timothy Dolan of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
2. Archbishop Ludwig Schick of Bamberg, Germany.
3. Archbishop José Carlos Melo of Maceio, Brazil.
4. Archbishop Hugo Barrantes Ureña of San Jose de Costa Rica, Costa Rica.
5. Archbishop Joao Braz de Aviz of Maringa, Brazil.
6. Archbishop Juan Francisco Sarasti Jaramillo of Cali, Colombia.
7. Archbishop Braulio Rodriguez Plaza of Valladolid, Spain.
8. Archbishop Fulgence Rabemahafaly of Fianarantsoa, Madagascar.
9. Archbishop Stanislaus Fernandes of Gandhinagar, India.
10. Archbishop Antonio Canizares Llovera of Toledo, Spain.
11. Archbishop Marc Ouellet of Quebec.
12. Archbishop Werner Thissen of Hamburg, Germany.
13. Archbishop Alois Kothgasser of Salzburg, Austria.
14. Archbishop Peter Erdö of Esztergom-Budapest, Hungary.
15. Archbishop Bernard Panafieu of Marseille, France.
16. Archbishop Hippolyte Simon of Clermont, France.
17. Archbishop Michel Coloni of Dijon, France.
18. Archbishop Guy Thomazeau of Montpellier, France.
19. Archbishop Albert Rouet of Poitiers, France.
20. Archbishop Tarcisio Bertone of Genova, Italy.
21. Archbishop Flavio Calle Zapata of Ibague, Colombia.
22. Archbishop Francisco Robles Ortega of Monterrey, Mexico.
23. Archbishop Antonio Ciliberti of Catanzaro-Squillace, Italy.
24. Archbishop Francisco Chimoio, of Maputo, Mozambique.
25. Archbishop Héctor Gonzáles Martínez of Durango, Mexico.
26. Archbishop José María Arancedo of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz, Argentina.
27. Archbishop Peter Fernando of Madurai, India.
28. Archbishop Vincent Coulibaly of Conakry, Guinea.
29. Archbishop Guillermo José Garlatti of Bahia Blanca, Argentina.
30. Archbishop Francisco Javier Martínez Fernández of Granada, Spain.
31. Archbishop Raúl Eduardo Vela Chiriboga of Quito, Ecuador.
32. Archbishop Yannis Spiteris of Corfu, Greece.
33. Archbishop Murphy Nicholas Xavier Pakiam of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
34. Archbishop Antonio Arregui Yarza of Guayaquil, Ecuador.
35. Archbishop Mario Luis Bautista Maulión of Parana, Argentina.
36. Archbishop Charles Bo, of Yangon, Myanmar.
37. Archbishop Paul Grawng of Mandalay, Myanmar.
38. Archbishop Tomasz Peta of Astana, Kazakhstan.
39. Archbishop Giuseppe Mani of Cagliari, Italy.
40. Archbishop John Ha Tiong Hock of Kuching, Malaysia.
In addition, two metropolitan archbishops will receive the pallium in their respective sees: Archbishops Alapati Mataeliga of Samoa-Apia, Samoa, and Florentinus Sului Hajang Hau, of Samarinda, Indonesia.