Born Feb. 21, 1921, in Grotte Santo Stefano, Italy, he came to Canada in 1927. Following his studies in theology and philosophy at Dominican College in Ottawa, he was ordained to the priesthood within the Servants of Mary in 1945.
Between 1946 and 1955, he was the provincial secretary of his order for the region of Winnipeg. In 1955, he returned to Montreal where he was rector and pastor of Notre-Dame du Mont-Carmel Parish.
In 1964, he was named provincial superior of the Servants of Mary, and less than one month later, Pope Paul VI appointed him auxiliary bishop of Montreal and collaborator to Cardinal Paul-Émile Léger, then archbishop.
In February 1996, he retired from the position of auxiliary bishop.