Pope Francis has appointed Fr. Moises Cuevas as auxiliary bishop of Zamboanga.
In his new role, the 46-year-old bishop-elect will assist the current archbishop of Zamboanga, Archbishop Romulo Dela Cruz.
Upon his appointment, Cuevas has been serving as the parish priest of the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Zamboanga City.
Born in Batangas City, the new bishop took his philosophy studies at the Pastor Bonus Seminary in Zamboanga City and theology at the Regional Major Seminary in Davao City.
He was ordained a priest for the Zamboanga archdiocese on Dec. 6, 2000.
He then carried out the following ministries:
- Parish vicar of the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Zamboanga (2001-2003)
- Rector of the sanctuary Nostra Signora del Pilar (2003-2009)
- Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Zamboanga (2003-2009)
- Administrator of the Pastoral Center (2005-2007)
- Parish priest of the parish of Santa Maria (2009-2015)
Since 2017, Cuevas has also been serving as director of the archdiocese’s Commission on the Clergy.