The first lesson of Bishop Robert Barron’s new course on John Henry Newman: The Greatest Catholic Theologian Since Aquinas is now live in the Word on Fire Institute.
In this 12-part course, Bishop Barron examines Newman’s many theological contributions, which are important in understanding Vatican II and in addressing the challenge of modernity.
Participants will be introduced to Newman by looking at his most significant texts: his autobiography Apologia Pro Vita Sua, the theologically meaningful Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, the educationally pertinent The Idea of a University, and the challenging An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent.
Topic covered in the course include:
• Newman’s conversion to Catholicism
• His influence on 20th-century theology and in our own day
• His robust educational vision
• The importance of studying Church history
• How we arrive at assent, acknowledging the truth of a proposition