Donate now

Archbishop Kaigama: ‘Boko Haram Has Expanded Its Objectives’

Denounces Attack Against Mosque on Friday

The terrorist group Boko Haram struck again in Damaturu, located in northern Nigeria. According to Fides News Agency, a large group of armed men attacked a police station at dawn. Gunfire and explosions erupted in the streets between the terrorists and government forces.

Boko Haram have amped up their attacks against both Christians and Muslims. Over the weekend, they also attacked a mosque during a Friday prayer service.

Archbishop Ignatius A. Kaigama of Jos, President of the Episcopal Conference of Nigeria, denounced the attack against the mosque, located in Kano.

“The terrible attack against Muslims in prayer shows that Boko Haram has expanded its objectives”, he said. “Not only non-Muslims or symbols of ‘Western culture’ are attacked such as schools, but also Muslims considered ‘less Muslims’ compared to the extremist conception of Islam advocated by Boko Haram.”

Two suicide bombers entered the mosque an exploded. About a dozen gunmen fired on those trying to escape the bloodshed. The attack left 120 and 270 wounded. Archbishop Kaigama believes that the attack was directed towards the second most important Muslim authority of Nigeria, Mohammed Sanusi II, the Emir of Kano.

“The Emir of Kano is one of the few Islamic leaders who dared to openly condemn the violence of Boko Haram”, Archbishop Kaigama said.. “Most of the leaders of the Islamic community in Nigeria has so far hesitated to take a firm stand against Boko Haram for fear of bloody reprisals. Effort on behalf of all Nigerians to put an end to the violence is needed.”

About ZENIT Staff

Share this Entry

Support ZENIT

If you liked this article, support ZENIT now with a donation