Donate now
Pope writing a letter

Pope Accepts Resignation of Auxiliary Bishop Salazar of Los Angeles

Archbishop Gomez of Los Angeles Issues Letter Explaining Series of Events

Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop Alexander Salazar today, Dec. 19, 2018, announced the Holy See Press Office in a bulletin.

Archbishop Josè Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles, published a statement regarding this on Angelus News.

In 2005, a year after he had been ordained a bishop, the Archdiocese was made aware of an allegation against Bishop Salazar of misconduct with a minor that was said to have occurred in the 1990s before he was ordained a bishop, when he was serving as a parish priest.

“Since an allegation was first brought forward,” Archbishop Gomez noted in his letter, “Bishop Salazar has consistently denied any wrongdoing. In the interest of due process, I requested and received permission from the Congregation for Bishops at the Holy See to submit the allegation to the Archdiocese’s independent Clergy Misconduct Oversight Board.”

“The Board,” he continued, “found the allegation to be credible and I submitted its findings and recommendations along with my own votum to the Holy See to make its final determination as to Bishop Salazar’s status.”

With the Pope’s acceptance of the bishop’s resignation, Archbishop Gomez said: “I am grateful for the Holy Father’s loving concern for the family of God here in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.”

The full letter is below:

***

On December 19, 2018, the Holy See announced that Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop Alexander Salazar.  Archbishop José H. Gomez issued the following letter to the faithful of Los Angeles.

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

Today, the Holy Father Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Auxiliary Bishop Alexander Salazar, who most recently served as Vicar for the Office of Ethnic Ministries of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

I regret to inform you that in 2005, a year after he had been ordained a bishop, the Archdiocese was made aware of an allegation against Bishop Salazar of misconduct with a minor. Although the allegation was never directly reported to the Archdiocese, it was investigated by law enforcement in 2002 and the District Attorney did not prosecute.

The accusation against Bishop Salazar stemmed from alleged misconduct that was said to have occurred in the 1990s, before he was ordained a bishop, when he was serving as a parish priest. Since he was a bishop at the time the allegation was received, the Archdiocese referred the matter to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith at the Holy See, which conducted an investigation and imposed certain precautionary measures on the ministry of Bishop Salazar.

Since the allegation was first brought forward, Bishop Salazar has consistently denied any wrongdoing. In the interest of due process, I requested and received permission from the Congregation for Bishops at the Holy See to submit the allegation to the Archdiocese’s independent Clergy Misconduct Oversight Board. The Board found the allegation to be credible and I submitted its findings and recommendations along with my own votum to the Holy See to make its final determination as to Bishop Salazar’s status.

I am grateful for the Holy Father’s loving concern for the family of God here in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. These decisions have been made out of deep concern for the healing and reconciliation of abuse victims and for the good of the Church’s mission.

Let us continue to stay close to the victim-survivors of abuse, through our prayer and our actions.

May we find hope in Jesus Christ, may the Blessed Virgin Mary be a mother to us all, and may God grant us peace.

Most Reverend José H. Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles

***

On the NET:

To the original post: https://angelusnews.com/voices/archbishop-gomez/full-text-letter-regarding-auxiliary-bishop-salazars-retirement

More information on the website of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles: https://media.la-archdiocese.org/pope-francis-accepts-resignation-of-la-auxiliary-bishop-salazar/

About Deborah Castellano Lubov

Deborah Castellano Lubov is a Senior Vatican & Rome Correspondent for ZENIT; author of 'The Other Francis' ('L'Altro Francesco') featuring interviews with those closest to the Pope and preface by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Parolin (currently published in four languages); Deborah is also NBC & MSNBC Vatican Analyst. She often covers the Pope's travels abroad, at times from the papal flight, and has done television and radio commentary, including for Vatican Radio and BBC. She is a contributor to National Catholic Register, UK Catholic Herald, Our Sunday Visitor, Inside the Vatican, and other Catholic news outlets. She has also collaborated with the Vatican in various projects, including an internship at the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, and is a collaborator with NBC Universal, NBC News, Euronews, and EWTN. For 'The Other Francis': http://www.gracewing.co.uk/page219.html or https://www.amazon.com/Other-Francis-Everything-They-about/dp/0852449348/

Share this Entry

Support ZENIT

If you liked this article, support ZENIT now with a donation