Fr. Nicholas Oboh, Nigerian priest kidnapped last week in the south-western region of Nigeria, was released yesterday evening, February 18. “I am pleased to inform you that our priest kidnapped last Thursday, Fr. Nicolas Oboh, has regained his freedom”, said a spokesman for the diocese of Uromi in a message sent via WhatsApp on February 18. “He was released this evening”, the spokesman said. “Many thanks for your prayers”.
The kidnapping of Fr. Oboh is the latest in a series of kidnappings and killings in Nigeria of Catholics and members of other Christian denominations. Earlier this week, a group of Islamist militants set fire to some vehicles in Borno State, killed 30 people, including a pregnant mother and her baby. The attack also destroyed 18 vehicles full of food supplies for the region.
Four seminarians of the Good Shepherd Major Seminary of Kakau, in the State of Kaduna, in north-west Nigeria who were kidnapped by armed men on the night of January 8. The youngest of these, Michael Nnadi (18 years old), was killed while the other three were freed, but one is in hospital in critical condition due to his injuries.