Moscow Recovering 2 Icons Hidden in Soviet Era

MOSCOW, MAY 20, 2010 ( Two icons covered in plaster on towers of the Moscow Kremlin are being restored.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this Entry

It is believed the icons of Christ the Savior and St. Nicholas were covered in 1937, as part of celebrations marking 20 years of the Soviet state. Historical documents indicate the icons were still visible in 1918.

The Spasskaya Tower has the icon of Christ the Savior with St. Sergius and St. Varlaam at his feet. It was painted in the early 16th century.

The Nikolskaya Tower’s icon of St. Nicholas dates back to the late 15th or early 16th centuries. That icon was damaged by bullets in 1917, but the face survived, which believers hailed as a miracle.

The St. Andrew the First-Called Foundation is funding the restoration project, which it initiated in 2007.

The work to unveil the icons is beginning this month and hoped to be completed by August.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this Entry


Support ZENIT

If you liked this article, support ZENIT now with a donation