to Open French, Portuguese Editions

VATICAN CITY, JAN. 24, 2012 ( The Web site will soon be available in French and Portuguese, announced Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, during a press conference today to present Benedict XVI’s Message for the 46th World Day of Social Communications.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this Entry

A year after its birth, the site, which brings together Vatican news sources, is already available in Italian, English and Spanish.

Archbishop Celli, president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, also gave some statistics related to the Vatican news site. The daily visits fluctuate from 8,000 to 10,000, with 16, 0000 recorded on Christmas Day.

The average time on the site is two minutes, a sign that those visiting don’t do so accidentally but stop, read and seek information, he added.

Visits to the Vatican news site come from some 180 countries worldwide, primarily from the United States (27% of the visits), followed by Italy, Germany, Spain, Canada and Brazil.

Just over half, 53%, of the visitors are new and the remaining 47% are regulars.

Archbishop Celli said that the vast majority of contacts come from social networks: 65% from Facebook, and about 30% from Twitter.

He also unveiled to the press the re-design of the Web site of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications (

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this Entry


Support ZENIT

If you liked this article, support ZENIT now with a donation